Scoliosis experience

Why, the past week has gone by quickly. Things has change for me definitely. Just last week my spine was as freeeeee as a bird, and now, it's being held by 21 titaniums.
I was discharged last saturday and been basically staying at home, recovering. thought writing something instead of lying down the entire day would be more beneficial.

so, I did my operation at Prince Court and I must say that the nurses there are so sweet and friendly. I had a warm-welcoming stay and the hospital itself is amazing.
on the day of my operation, i was surprisingly calm. I was slightly excited, excited to get this operation done and over with. when the anesthetist came in to check up on me, it turns out that he and my dad were ex-schoolmates. what a small world.. that moment I was just hoping that my dad didn't bully the anesthetist or whatever that may cause some slight vengeance.
they seem to be getting along well, so no worries there.

after all the chatting and checking, I was brought to the operation room. On my bed! First time ever going around a huge building.. on a bed.. yes, it's a hospital but I bet you've never done that before ;)

and so I went through the 5 hours operation and came out alhamdulillah, safe :) I was put in ICU for the first day and damn, the first day was painful. when my parents asked how I felt, I really couldn't tell. I didn't feel any sharpness in my back, just.. discomfort, extreme and severe discomfort. even turning sideways was a sting, it was awfully painful. I was wrenched, to say the least. my parents and friends took some pictures right after I got out of my operation and damn did I look horrible. hahahaha, I know, kind of stupid for me to care about what I looked like at that time, but damnnnn.

the next day I was told that I could go back to my normal ward and I was so happy for that! the pain was still there, but at that point, it was bearable. I've to admit, I prefer the nurses who took care of my when I was in ICU, mostly cause they were more thorough and chatty. BUT, the nurses in 5F were pretty cool too, so I ain't grumbling.
a few of my friends came and visit that day and FOR THOSE WHO WILL BE DOING A MAJOR SURGERY, I suggest you postpone visits, cause yes it's great and all to be surrounded by lovely friends, but damn, when they start being goofy and funny, and you start being giggly, IT HURTS. LIKE. KDJFSDJFKSFLKKLFAKDFJAKLF.
Hahahaha but unless you think you can bear with the pain, then some company might be a bright idea.

Oh and I still wasn't able to sit up or turn sideways properly that time, I was still on my back :(

the third and fourth day went very well. My recovery was starting to show, I could sit up.. sort of.. the pain lessened, everything was going well. the first couple of days, I was told that I had some blood loss issue and that my blood pressure was low. kind of made me scared but turns out everything was okay :)
OH EXCEPT THE FACT THAT I COULDN'T.. "PASS MOTION" (The term that the nurses used).. Basically I couldn't poo.
who knew constipation was that bad? My tummy was literally bloated eventhough I barely ate anything. soo, the nurse put something up my butt and wallah! :D
Meh, not going into that.

On the fourth day I was able to walk and stuff and eveyrthing was going back to normal, so yeah, it was cool.
Now I'm still under recovery, at home, my next follow up is in 7 days and I cannot wait to get this plaster off my back!
I've to say, not being able to move properly is kind of annoying. Especially if you're at home and have nothing to do -.- But the advantage is that, you get a green light to be a lazy fat ass and no one, absolutely no one will judge you for that! :D
another upside to this surgery is that, you gain height a little and you have a perfect ergonomic posture, so YAY FOR THAT.

Guess that's about it. I know it's quite a short post for a 5 day experience but that's just cause I'm enjoying every little moment of being an unjudged lazy fat ass.
to sum up the entire 5 days, I'd like to say that it made me more grateful.. and taller. hehehe. but yeah, I kind of see things in a more optimistic way and kind of just be a more of a grateful person.

to those who are contemplating whether or not to do this operation, I advice you to read a lot from the internet, consult your doctor and ask him as many questions as you want to. ultimately, only you and your doctor can decide on whether or not you should do the operation.

So, goodluck if you are doing the operation and just to let you know, I'm glad I did the operation cause frankly, there hasn't been a problem for me yet and based on the personal stories I read on the net, there are minimal physical restrictions.

kind of out of words now,
Nureen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Post-uni life.

processing bad stuff that happened to me

When you're the toxic one.